MAINSTREAMING CLIMATE CHANGE ADAPTATION IN AGRICULTURAL EXTENSION
Annual extremes in the season
• These include the highest total amount of rainfall either in one or
• Gives an indication of intensity
Discuss with farmers what they can do with this information. It can be soil
conservation advice in form of contours because of increased chances of
erosion and hence gully formation.
Longest dry spells
• Number of consecutive dry days between 1 December and 31 March
• A dry day in this presentation is any day with less than 2.95mm of rain
• Possible to plot when these dry days occur within a season
Discuss what they can do with the information.
Share with them the graphs given for selected sites
Picture: Farmers in Deve village in Matobo District having closer look at rainfall events graphs: Picture by H.
A Training Manual on Use of Climate Information and Vulnerability and Capacity Assessment for
Agricultural Extension Staff in Zimbabwe