MAINSTREAMING CLIMATE CHANGE ADAPTATION IN AGRICULTURAL EXTENSION
SLIDE 2 – Overview
- What is climate
- The green house effect
- Affect on weather
- Is it man-made or not?
- Impacts of climate change
- Climate „myths‟ (some things that are not true)
- Where you can find out more
SLIDE 3 – Some definitions
- Weather is the state of the atmosphere at a specific time in a specific place.
E.g. temperature, cloudiness, rain, wind, thunderstorms, tornadoes,
- Climate is the average state of the atmosphere over a long period (normally >
E.g. Addis Ababa normally has dry winters and rainy summers
SLIDE 4 – Some definitions
- Climate variability refers to variations in the current state of the climate
e.g. El Nino causes lower rainfall ~ every 7 years
Or e.g. the amount of rainfall we receive varies from year to year
- Climate change is a shift in the current state of the climate over at least
E.g. The Sahara used to have a rainy climate and now has a dry one.
- Both of these will have an impact on day to day weather conditions
Check that everyone is clear about these definitions
A Training Manual on Use of Climate Information and Vulnerability and Capacity Assessment for
Agricultural Extension Staff in Zimbabwe