4. Suresh, V. Disaster Mitigation, Bold New Initiatives,
in Kerala Calling, February 2005, Cover Story. http://
5. Thiruppugazh, V. (2007) Urban Vulnerability
Reduction: Regulations and beyond, ASARC Working
Paper 2007/8, Australian National University,
1. Afshar, F. et al. (1978) Mobilising Indigenous
Resources for Earthquake Reconstruction, Housing
Science, Vol. 2, No. 2, pp. 335-350.
2. BSHF (1998) A Practical Guide to the Construction
of Low Cost Typhoon-resistant Housing, The DWD
core shelter project of The Philippines, Building and
Social Housing Foundation, Coalville, UK.
3. CDERA (2005) Code of Practice for the Construction
of Houses: An instruction manual for foremen and
experienced artisans, Part 1: Trainer’s manual.
Caribbean Disaster Emergency Response Agency
4. Coburn, A. et al. (1995) Technical Principles
of Building for Safety. Intermediate Technology
Publications, London (now Practical Action
Publishing, Rugby, UK). Order from the Development
5. Desai, Rajendra and Rupal Desai (2008) Manual on
Hazard Resistant Construction in India, For reducing
vulnerability in buildings built without engineers.
National Centre for People’s Action in Disaster
Preparedness (NCPDP), Ahmedabad, India.
publications/v.php?id=11707 (full version)
6. GTZ (undated) Quality Assurance Method (QAM)
for Post-tsunami housing in Matara District, A
participatory tool to evaluate quality, German
Technical Cooperation (GTZ) and District Secretariat,
Matara, currently unavailable on the internet.
Complementary documents include Training Module
for Quality Assessment Method for Post-Tsunami
Housing Programme, produced by GTZ and Practical
Action South Asia, and Quality Assurance Guidelines
for Building Construction by Practical Action South
Asia, Colombo, Sri Lanka.
7. Kuriakose, B. (2006) Post Tsunami Reconstruction
Manual for Supervisors and Project Staff, South
Indian Federation of Fishing Societies, Trivandrum,
8. Müller, Heini (2004) Basic Construction Training
Manual for Trainers, SKAT Foundation, St. Gallen,
9. Practical Action (2007) Rebuilding in the Aftermath
of an Earthquake (revised 2007), Practical Answers
Technical Information on line, Practical Action, Rugby
10. Practical Action South Asia (2005) Quality Assurance
Guidelines for Building Construction, Process
11. Practical Action South Asia (2006) House
Maintenance in Resettlements for House Owners and
Occupants, Process Guidelines, Colombo.
12. Santhakumar, A.R. (2005) Sustainable
Reconstruction and Rehabilitation of Tsunami
Affected Areas of India, paper presented at the
International Symposium, Disaster Reduction on
Coasts, 14-16 November 2005, Monash University,
13. Stephenson, M. (2008) Notes from Experience in
Post-Earthquake Rural Housing Reconstruction in
Pakistan, presented at the Building Back Better
Workshop, Bejing, China
14. UNEP-SBCI and SKAT (2007) After the Tsunami,
Sustainable Building Guidelines for South-East Asia.
15. UN-Habitat (2008) Experiences in Capacity
Development from the ERRA Rural Housing
Reconstruction Programme, paper presented at the
International Conference on School Safety, 14-16
May 2008, Islamabad, Pakistan.
16. UNISDR and UNDP (2007) Hanbook on Good
Building Design and Construction, Aceh and Nias
17. UNISDR and WHO (2008) Hospitals Safe from
Disaster, 2008-2009 World Disaster Reduction